Infectious diseases are responsible for a huge number of deaths throughout the world. Knowledge about diseases such as how do you get HIV, tuberculosis, malaria or what are the ways to prevent them, can save you from such infections.
What are infectious diseases:
Infectious diseases spread through contact or contaminated medium such as water or food. Diseases can spread by physical contact, through blood transfer, contaminated food, water, air, using clothes of infected person and sexual contact. Difference between autoimmune diseases and infectious diseases is that infectious diseases are usually caused by organisms like bacteria, viruses, protozoa, fungi etc. whereas autoimmune diseases are caused due to over reactive immune system of our body.
Prevention of diseases:
Most of the diseases can be prevented by following simple thumb rules. They are as follows:
• Boil your water and vegetables you eat. Avoid food sourced from dirty or stagnant sources. Meat products must always be thoroughly cooked or grilled before consumption. Never eat food beyond the expiry date mentioned on the food packets. Stale food too can cause infections.
• If you are travelling, cover your face with a scarf or a mask. Avoid swimming wherever you suspect the water might contaminate.
• Vaccinate yourself for major diseases. If travelling abroad get precautionary vaccination for local diseases.
• Avoid walking bare foot on dirty or dusty streets. Always wash your hands with clinically approved hand wash or disinfectant. Keep your homes and offices clean.
• Avoid unprotected sex with multiple partners. Practice basic safe sex techniques. If you suspect any signs of sexually transmitted diseases, do contact your doctor immediately.
• Keep your environment clean. Regular house cleaning, pest control and cleaning up of your pets are a must around the house.
Treatment of infectious diseases:
Treatment of infections is done using antibacterial, antiparasitic, antiviral and antifungal drugs. For example, some skin diseases can be treated using antifungal ointments. The medications may be given orally, intravenously or applied externally. Such medications must always be taken after thorough diagnosis and prescription from a qualified doctor. Common diagnostic tests such as blood and urine sample tests might be performed to determine the exact nature of the infection.
Note that not all infections can be treated for example HIV (Human immune deficiency virus) is one of the most deadly diseases that cannot be cured.
Thus, diseases can deteriorate your health; therefore, it’s better to follow simple prevention tips to avoid infectious diseases.